
A high school student was treated and released for injuries he received during a fight with inmates working on a carpentry project in Pago Pago last Friday.
Police are investigating the alleged assault and Commissioner of Public Safety Taaga Saitge Moliga says he was awaiting a report before disclosing details.
Acting Director of the Department of Corrections Siaosi Leaea said 9 inmates were approved for work release at a carpentry project in Pago Pago last Friday and they were under the supervision of two TCF guards.
Citing information he received from the guards, Leaea said two of the inmates were shoveling dirt when a group of youth threw stones at them.
A fight broke out and one of the youth, said to be a high school student, was injured.
The work release program which had been suspended, was reinstated by the Acting Director Vaipuna Foifua Foifua Jr. It provides a rehabilitation opportunity for eligible inmates and enables them to earn a stipend that can be used to pay restitution for fines imposed as part of their sentences.
Leaea said Vaipuna, who is currently off island, restarted the work release program two weeks ago and it was unfortunate that the incident happened so soon after it was resumed.
He said he has now stopped the program until after the DPS has completed its investigation of last Friday’s incident..


