Certificate of substantial completion issued for Maota Fono

img_7826-2

The Project Manager for the new Maota Fono, Mark Lively, has issued the certificate of substantial completion, which he said should satisfy Public Works requirements for the issuance of a “partial certificate of occupancy” for the main Fono building.

Lively, who is also the architect of the new Fono building, returned to Honolulu Monday night after a four-day inspection and meetings concerning the building.

Electrical and mechanical Engineers from Motkin of Hawaii, were also on-site to inspect electrical and plumbing for the building. According to Lively, their report does not indicate any reason to prevent the issuance of a certificate of substantial completion.

He did point out that the fire sprinkler system is not operational because of low water pressure in the Fagatogo area.

However, he said this is a problem that the American Samoa Power Authority needs to fix. Until the system is fully functioning, a 24-hour security watch is needed for the building.

Lively said there’s still no sound system for the building. The system was originally contracted to an off-island company, however, there’s been a change and the service will now be contracted in-house within the Fono, though he was not familiar with the details.

He said he would be returning on January 8 to make sure that everything is working before the Fono reconvenes on January 12.

Asked why he didn’t attend the dedication of the new building, Lively explained that the opening dates changed so often, and he had already made arrangements to spend Thanksgiving with family in the mainland when the final date was set. Lively said he hopes the people likes and enjoys the new Fono building and appreciates all the work that went into it.